Monday, March 16, 2009

Let the LGUs Do it!

SOMETHING SMELLS!

Negros Daily Bulletin

By Alan S. Gensoli

Why ignore the LGUs? It seems to me, R.A. 95121 is trying to take the work away from the LGUs. Signed into law on Dec. 12, 2008, R.A. 95121, the Environmental Awareness and Education Act of 2008, mandates the inclusion of environmental education in all school levels ASAP. 

Reading through the law, however, I observe that LGUs are not mentioned anywhere at all. What is the purpose of this tactic? If we are educating people on Solid Waste Management in a particular city or town, shouldn’t we at least let the LGU know that this is going on? Indeed, shouldn’t the LGU be on top of the effort? But with R.A. 95121, it would seem the Senate and the Lower House have given up on the LGUs, and have gone over the heads of the mayors. I hope I’m wrong. Environmental education requires the collaboration of everyone. But consider the following paragraph from Sec. 6 of R.A. 95121 just to drive my point: 

“The DENR shall have the primary responsibility of periodically informing all agencies concerned on current environmental updates, including identifying priority environmental education issues for national action and providing strategic advice on the environmental education activities. The DepEd, CHED, TESDA, DENR, DOST, DSWD, and barangay units shall ensure that the information is disseminated to the subject students.” 

What happened to the city and town officials? Shouldn’t we involve them also? Of course, we should. It is true that environmental education will be rolled out in the barangay level where Solid Waste Management (SWM) will be taught house-to-house. But that is not the only venue for learning. There are many more. Who will supervise the teaching in schools, the public markets, and the commercial centers and business offices? Who will tell SM City, for instance, to educate all of its employees and concessionaires? And who will run the sanitary landfill where segregated garbage will be collected? These will all have to be overseen by the LGU. Besides, the barangay captain might need financial help from the mayor. 

The fact that R.A. 95121 makes no mention of the LGU should be clarified, if not completely restated. This is not just typographical. This smells intentional and could be counterproductive. For why did we elect our city officials if we are not willing to give them the full responsibility of running our city? Wouldn’t it be simpler if everything that happens in the city goes through our mayor? Remember last year when we all got stuck with the construction of the waterway in Banago? That was because City Hall and DPWH were pointing at each other...whose job is it? I think it’s only practical to make City Hall responsible for it and DPWH can assist. Otherwise, the finger-pointing is causing further delay. 

At one point, I recall City Hall telling us to go talk to the DPWH. Granted that waterways are the national government’s jurisdiction and so must be properly addressed by the DPWH rather than City Hall, why can’t I, as citizen of this city, go to my mayor, air whatever legitimate complaint I have, and expect my mayor to contact the right national agency to fix the problem? Why should I be the one to knock on the doors of the DPWH? Is the DPWH as powerful as my mayor? Certainly not. I elected my mayor. I had nothing to do with that DPWH. 

No wonder finger-pointing is so ingrained in our national consciousness. Even our laws, such as R.A. 95121, help perpetuate such poor values and habits. By excluding the LGU from sharing in the responsibility of implementing the law, the law obviously has less chances of success. I say, let the LGUs do the job! Because it’s their job. 

I have very good reason why I want LGUs to be directly responsible for everything that happens in our cities and towns. I want the lines of responsibility, accountability, and culpability clearly drawn. And if I want my city government to answer for everything, then it is only fair that the city government is given all the power to do everything-and the funds, too! By ignoring the LGU’s influence in educating the citizenry about the environment, R.A. 95121 made a horrible mistake. 

For months now I have been urging our LGU to begin the long and hard process of educating our people. And now, with R.A. 95121, I realize they’re not even empowered to educate their people?*

No comments: