Monday, October 13, 2008

WONDERFUL WORLD

SOMETHING SMELLS

By Tina M. Monfort

“I see trees of green…red roses too.  I watch ‘em bloom…for me and for you.  And I think to myself…what a wonderful world.  I see skies of blue…clouds of white.  Bright blessed days…warm sacred nights.  And I think to myself…what a wonderful world.”

I remember hearing this a lot as I was growing up and somehow, I could never bring myself to listen to the whole song because it always makes me sad.  I find myself wondering if indeed the world would still be wonderful generations from now. Or will this present generation of ours ever stand the rigors of time?  It is very disheartening when you really think about how the world has turned out to be so indifferent and calloused towards the environment.

In my last article, I talked about getting ourselves involved no matter how little in making the change that we want to see.  STOP USING PLASTICS NOW!  Have you? I am not delusional in thinking that one article can change the world or one plastic for that matter.  But as all big things start from something little, yes, I am very hopeful.  I also believe that small actions multiplied by a lot of people will make a big change.  A very big change.  One customer declining one bag is no big whoop but magnify this gesture by thousands and we will be looking at a very different story. 

As I leave my “plastic” talk, I leave with the hope that each one buckle their seatbelts, cheer loud and proud for all our little actions in saving the environment.  In my following articles, I will be writing about green tips from A-Z, about anything and everything I can think of - or research on.           Here is a list of very common and easy eco-friendly things we could start doing  NOW … buckle up and enjoy the ride!

Pick-up ‘em up -  Whether it’s a small piece of plastic candy wrapper or the Tetra Pak of your drink, pick it up and put it in the proper trash bins. The people who live near dump sites have far bigger problems than we do.  So the next time you pass a piece of litter on the street, why not pick it up?  You won’t get the cooties, I promise.

Sort your trash - Hale! Hale! SM Supermalls!  Labeled trash bins are situated at every entrance (or exit, depending on which way you’re going ) For starters, you can have at least 3 trash bins at home.  DRY – for bottles, cans, PETS or anything you can wash and air dry, unsoiled paper and packaging. WET – soiled paper towels, wraps and paper or anything unrecylable.  The 3rd trash bin will be discussed shortly.  

Re-use what you can USE – bring a basket or re-usable bag whenever you go shopping, in the market or in the mall.  Put a small bottle of lotion, a “kikay” item or medicine purchase straight into your hand bag or basket but make sure to have them attach the receipt on the item. Mend whatever is broken rather than replacing it. Glue it. Screw it. Tie it up. Tape it down. Darn it. Oil it. Sand it off. Sew it back on.  It’s amazing how we can accumulate so much!   If for now you’re too lazy to recycle your trash, bring it to your local junk shop or join a local recycling group in your community. ---(SM Supermall’s Trash for Cash program, every 1st Friday and Saturday of the month) It’s about time you bond with your neighbors for a good cause.

Stop burning trash – Don’t be an Earth monster. Think of the trouble you give your neighbor whenever you burn “trash”.  You’re not a cave man, are you?  Throw your trash in the proper bins.

Start composting - A great bulk of household trash is leftover food. Put this in your 3rd trash bin or bury your leftover food straight in your backyard, a pot or drum of soil and turn it into compost. It’s your first step to gardening or a great boost if you’re already into it.  Works wonders!  This also serves as a very sumptuous dish for Babe and Wilbur.

Turn it off!  - Unplug appliances and devices whenever it is not in use. It will shave off  a lot on your electricity bill, prolong the life of your appliances and minimize the risk of having your house burned down.

Take the public transportation - You would sometimes find it more relaxing  to just sit back and relax instead of driving.  I personally do this especially when I’m in the midst of the hustle and buzzle of Metro Manila traffic. I don’t have to wake up way too early get all stressed out just to make it on time for a convenient and safe parking spot. Public transit is the only way to go! MRT anyone? 

Join the campaign  – I’m not asking you to go and duke it out against the whalers or careless oil and mining companies. Just become aware of the state of our environment and you will find simple ways you can help clean it up and save it. Join a local environmental group or start one. (BAHA welcomes committed volunteers – 09209167252.  CALL NOW! )

Watch BANAT BAHA (Season 2) – Hosted by Mr. Rene Hinojales for everything you need to know about Bacolod City’s flood and trash problems.  Or you may also want to watch “An Inconvenient Truth” by Al Gore  - Trust me, it will ‘change’ something in you. I end by reiterating, whether you are age 5 or 95, there is definitely something you can do to help save the environment. What have you done to help save Mother Earth today?

 Hope shines! 

No comments: